Donating your body to medical science


Possessions and money are not the only issues which can be considered when making a Will.

Some individuals choose to donate their body to medical science after death in the hope that it will be of some practical use.

Donated remains are used by medical students for anatomical examination, for research to improve understanding of the human body and also for education and training usually by those learning surgical techniques.

Under the Human Tissue Act 2004, which came into force in 2006, written consent must be given by an individual before death and consent cannot be given by anyone else after death. A consent form can be obtained from your local medical school and a copy should be kept with your Will. You should also tell family, close friends and GP that you wish to donate your body.

The Human Tissue Authority (HTA) licenses and inspects establishments such as medical schools which teach anatomy using donated bodies. The authority holds details of the schools and can put prospective donors in touch. See its website or ring 020 7211 3437 / 020 7269 1947.

You will not receive any payment for donating your body and some medical schools may request that the donor’s estate contribute to the cost of transporting the body, particularly if the donation falls outside of the school’s local area.

Sarah Hickey, head of the Private Client Department at Batchelors Solicitors which handles Wills and probate, said: “We are always very happy to help guide a client through the preparation needed to become a donor and ensure their wishes are clearly spelled out.”

For those people who might have signed a consent form before the 2006 legislation, the HTA says that the new regulations allow earlier documented and valid consent for body donation to be honoured. However it points out: “The ease with which your body donation offer is accepted might be improved if you include an updated intention to donate your body in your Will. More details can be obtained directly from the anatomy establishment to which you wish to donate your body.”

People who choose to donate their body or organs do so in the hope that it will help others. Despite being separate donation systems, it is possible for a person to be registered as an organ donor and to have registered their wish to donate their body to a medical school.

Medical schools will usually decline a body donation if the person has undergone surgery to remove organs for transplant. However, if after death, the person is found unsuitable to be an organ donor, then body donation to a medical school can be taken forward by the relatives, solicitor or executor of the Will.

If someone wishes to register for both organ donation and body donation, the HTA suggests that they include this in their Will and ensures that those closest to them are aware of their wishes.

All medical schools welcome the offer of a donation. However, certain medical conditions may lead to an offer being declined. More information can be obtained from each medical school.

If a medical school is unable to accept a donation, they may be able to help you find another school which can accept your body.

Medical schools will usually arrange for donated bodies to be cremated, unless the family requests it be returned for a private burial or cremation.

Alternatively, the following human tissue banks accept brain and spinal tissue for research into specific conditions. As well as needing particular types of tissue from people with the conditions named below, they also accept donations of brain and spinal tissue from people without these conditions as controls to the research.


If you want further advice on making your will please feel free to call and we will happily send you out our free Make a Will pack. 020 8768 7000.

Contact us for more information

Share this article